Staples is proud to be recognized for business excellence and our commitment to serving our customers.
- Ranked #50 out of 150 on Forbes' list of America's Most Reputable Companies (2012) – Ranking based on 10,000 online interviews conducted by Reputation Institute, a private consulting firm, asking people about their perceptions of the nation's largest 150 companies' products and services, innovation, workplace, governance, citizenship, financial performance and leadership.
- #49 CR Magazine Best Corporate Citizen (2012).
- #1 on Institutional Investor magazine’s Best Investor Relations (Retailing/Hard Lines Category rated by sellside) (2012).
- #114 on Fortune 500 (2012).
- #437 Fortune Global 500 (2012).
- #2 on Fortune Most Admired Specialty Retailers (2012).
- #473 on Barron's 500 (2012).
- #571 on Forbes World’s 2000 Biggest Public Companies (2012).
- #2 among 35 retail sector companies and #31 among 581 global companies evaluated in the 2010 Covalence Ethical Ranking.
- #33 on Boston Globe 100 Top Companies (2012).
- #36 on STORES Magazine’s “Top 100 Retailers” (2012).
- #4 on MultiChannel Merchant Top 100 (2011).
- Ranked #2 among retailers and #10 overall in the Newsweek Green Rankings for 2012, which ranks the environmental efforts of the largest 500 companies in the U.S.
- EPA Green Power Partner recognition: ranked #4 among all retailers, #7 among Fortune 500 companies and #8 in the U.S. (as of October 2012).
- Jay Baitler, executive vice president of Staples Advantage, named to the OPI Top 100 Global Resellers for his leadership in the Office Products industry (2009).
- Ron Sargent, Chairman & CEO of Staples, named to the OPI Top 100 Global Resellers for his leadership in the Office Products Industry (2009).
- Ron Sargent named “Best CEO” by Institutional Investor magazine (Retailing/Hard Lines Category) (2009).
- Received Modern Materials Handling magazine’s 2008 Innovation Productivity Award for innovative use of a robotic fulfillment system, called KIVA, now operating in two of Staples Advantage’s 37 fulfillment centers in the U.S. (2008).
- Jay Baitler, executive vice president of Staples Advantage, named to Supply & Demand Chain Executive magazine’s Provider Pros to Know (2004–2008).
- Staples Advantage named to Supply & Demand Chain Executive magazine’s Executive 100 (2003–2008).
- City Business Journals Network’s “American Brand Excellence Award” (2007–2008).
Environmental Awards and Recognitions
- In 2011 and 2012, selected as EPA ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year for Energy Management.
- Ranked #10 in Newsweek's Top 500 Green Companies – ranked #2 within the retail industry (2012).
- In September 2012, for the ninth consecutive year, Staples was selected as a component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes (DJSI). Corporate Responsibility Magazine's Top 100 companies in 2012 (#49). The CR list ranks the corporate responsibility efforts of large-cap companies from the Russell 1000 index.
- Awarded 2011 Platts Global Energy Efficiency Program of the Year. Selected as finalist for 2012 Platts Global Corporate Social Responsibility Award.
- In 2011, Staples was recognized by the South Coast Air Quality Management District as a Clean Air Award Winner in the category of Advancement of Air Pollution Technology.
- In 2012, Staples was presented with the Maryland Green Registry Leadership Award for an organization-wide commitment to environmental performance, a green team that meets on a regular basis, annual environmental goals, and measurement of results.
- Many of our International business units have devoted significant effort to obtain and maintain ISO 14001 certification. More than 110 sites across Canada, Australia, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, the UK, the Netherlands, Norway, Finland, France, Portugal, and China have exceeded the stringent criteria required for certification in this independent, internationally standardized system for environmental management in 2011.
- Staples Australia won four honors at the prestigious 2012 Australian Business Awards, including Best New Product and Product Innovation Awards for Staples Carbon Neutral copy paper, Product Value Award for Staples Brand Sustainable Earth products and the Environmental Sustainability Award.
- Shortlisted for the European Office Products Industry CSR Award for the third consecutive year in recognition of our comprehensive CSR offering.
- Shortlisted for the 2011 Corporate Social Responsibility Award with Chambers Ireland for our EcoEasy product offering.
- Staples Belgium achieved European GreenLight Certification with Encon for the use of energy efficient lighting.
- Staples UK was awarded the Carbon Trust Standard, a mark of excellence recognizing carbon emission reduction efforts. In total we reduced carbon emissions by 11.1% from the previous year and proved Staples' dedication to sustainability.
- In March 2011, the Swedish government's export organization, The Swedish Environmental Management Council, recognized Staples Sweden AB with its Excellent Green Supplier award.
Diversity Awards and Recognitions
- Received a 100 (perfect score) on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index. Also named one of the “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality.” (2010, 2011, 2012).
- Named WBENC’s company of the year (2011).
- Being named a top place for “Diverse Managers to Work” by Diversity MBA Magazine.
- Named a 2011 Best Diversity Company by the readers of diversitycareers.com for diversity careers in engineering & information technology, 5th consecutive year on this list.
- Readers’ Choice Award: A Best Diversity Company by DiversityCareers.com (2011).
- Received Employer of Choice Award from the Minority Corporate Counsel Association.
- Recognized as one of Diversity Inc.’s Noteworthy Companies (2011).
- Named a finalist in Australia for the 2011 Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency Business Achievement Award in celebration of our inclusive workplace and the importance placed on diversity in our business .
- Recognized by The Boston Club for having three women on our Board of Directors.
eCommerce Awards and Recognitions
- Staples ranked #2 globally on Internet Retailer Magazine's Top 500 largest e-tailers list (2007–2012); ranked #1 in total Web sales in the Office Supply Industry.